Health & Safety Plans
APCO is working diligently on plans to keep you safe at the APCO 2021 Annual Conference & Expo August 15-18, 2021, in San Antonio, Texas. With the safety and well-being of our attendees and the community in mind, we are working closely with Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center and contracted hotels to ensure sanitation procedures and other precautionary measures are in place. Please note that these safety measures will be updated based on current CDC recommendations and any government, state and federal mandates.
Highlighted below are some of the measures that will be implemented.
- All visitors to the convention center will be subject to a COVID-19 symptom screening at designated entrances before entry.
- The following question will be asked regarding COVID-19 symptoms “Are you experiencing any COVID symptoms?” Simultaneously, the guest will be shown the written symptoms.
- Temperatures will be checked using thermal imaging cameras. A label indicating an approved temperature reading will be dispensed and worn by the guest to confirm screening was completed.
- Any visitor who is not successfully screened or is experiencing COVID symptoms will not be permitted entry into the facility.
- Secondary screenings will be provided in a separate area from the entrance if the initial temperature is greater than or equal to 99.7 F. If a second reading is greater than or equal to 99.7 F, entry will not be permitted.
- Professional development sessions, general sessions, meeting rooms and areas in the exhibit hall will be setup for physical distancing.
- Plexiglass shields will be installed at the registration counters, bag/gift pickup counter, exhibitor customer care, resume review and other service desks.
- Please refrain from handshakes, hugs or high-fives.
- The capacity in all areas will be reduced to provide for appropriate physical distancing.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be available throughout the event. These sanitizer dispensers, touchless whenever possible, will be placed at key contact areas such as reception areas, entrances, stairs, elevators, and escalator landings in public spaces.
Personal Protective Equipment
- APCO will require masks for all attendees, exhibitors, volunteers and staff.
- All facility employees will wear masks and gloves based on their role and responsibilities and in adherence to state or local regulations and guidance.
- Volunteers and staff at registration and bag/gift pickup will be required to wear gloves.
Cleaning and Sanitizing:
- The frequency of cleaning and sanitizing will be increased in all public spaces with an emphasis on frequent contact surfaces including countertops, escalators, elevators, and elevator buttons, vending machines, door handles, public bathrooms, ATMs, stair and escalator handrails, dining surfaces, all seating areas and tables.
- The convention center installed UV lighting on escalator hand rails for additional sanitation purposes and a UV Light Robot is used to effectively disinfect areas.
- Any touch points in the professional development session rooms, Career Advancement Center and Presentation Theater will be cleaned in-between sessions.
- The audio visual provider will wipe down audio visual equipment in-between sessions.
- Disinfectant wipes will be provided in session rooms, meeting rooms and various service counters.
Food and Beverage
- Service will be provided in a minimal contact manner i.e. individually packaged meals, one-sided buffets allowing wait staff to serve each guest, wait staff distributing beverages, etc.
- For plated food functions, all items will be individually wrapped, covered or served.
- One-way aisles may be implemented to help manage traffic.
- Exhibitors are encouraged to not give out promotional items unless they are individually wrapped.
- Exhibitors who provide complimentary food or beverage will have wait staff distributing these items.
- Physical and digital signage as well as floor markings have been placed in appropriate areas to promote directional information, hygiene practices, and physical distancing.
APCO also actively encourages all participants to take preventive actions following CDC guidelines. These guidelines include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a mask when around others.
- Routinely clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces.
- Stay home when you are sick.
Current information about COVID-19 and Travel Resources
- Visit San Antonio Information
- San Antonio Airport Information
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Details on procedures in place at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center
- Safety Measures Video
- Facial Covering Policy
- Safer Events Practice
- The Convention Center is proud to have received the Global BioRisk Advisory Council (GBAC) Accreditation. GBAC is a division of International Supply and Sanitary Association (ISSA), the worldwide cleaning association. This accreditation program assesses cleaning and disinfection practices and infectious-disease prevention. GBAC is currently the industry’s only accreditation for outbreak prevention, response and recovery establishing requirements to control risks associated with infectious agents, such as the virus that causes COVID-19.
In the unlikely event we cancel the conference due to COVID-19, your attendee registration fees will be refunded in full. Exhibitors will be contacted separately with options.
If you have any questions about the event, please contact the APCO Events Department at (386) 322-2500 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding your booth or sponsorship, please contact APCO Corporate Outreach Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.